river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: api compatibility auditing
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 21:34:35 GMT
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 30-12-10 13:16, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>> I noticed you were experimenting with source version auditing, how did
>> that go?
>
> I have verification working on class level, against sun jdk 1.5
> signatures. The only problem i see is that we cannot edit the signatures
> right now. Craigh suggested a tool based on interface definitions, i
> should have a look at it as well, but that one requires us to code up
> all signatures manually so it seems.
>
> Did you have a look already at animal-sniffer? A run with CDC signatures
> could start verification for that platform. The problem is, i cannot
> find a CDC signatures file.

I don't really understand the purpose of all this. Even if a method
exists in 1.4, we would still need to test with a 1.4 JVM to be sure the
code works under 1.4.

I would prefer a QA-based strategy:

1. Make sure the framework allows for configuration of JVM version for
each service.

2. Go over any QA tests that need 1.5, to see if they can reasonably
easily be modified for 1.4, and fix as many as possible.

Given that, do QA tests by default with each component at its minimum
supported Java version, and also do special runs with everything at the
maximum version, currently Java 6.

Does this make any sense?

Or maybe we should just go to Java 5, compile and test with Java 5, and
consider a subset for 1.4-only devices as a special project?

Patricia