river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: datastructure classes
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:01:31 GMT
Mike McGrady wrote:
> Intense network systems like our clients cannot work with database
> calls.  They are too slow and do not scale.  They either reach a cost
> or a performance ceiling.

I feel we are mixing requirements and implementation. Response time,
throughput, ACID properties and the like are requirements. What
Outrigger uses as persistent storage for tuple space is implementation.

I would like to get more data on your performance requirements -
specifics about e.g. x% of JavaSpace reads under these conditions must
complete within y seconds.

The most useful and specific way of presenting requirements would be a
scalable benchmark - something where we can simulate a larger number of
machines doing real work by having a smaller number dedicated to driving
transactions at a single JavaSpace and measuring the results.

Measurements from a small to medium sized environment would be useful
input for estimating performance at higher loads. Without that sort of
data, I cannot even guess whether an achievable Outrigger implementation
will be able to meet all your requirements.

Patricia