river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: datastructure classes
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:21:33 GMT
On 16-12-10 16:11, Mike McGrady wrote:
> The experience in the industry is that writing directly to a database
> is too slow and reaches either a cost or a performance ceiling .  The
> prime candidates for a tuple-space application in the real world is
> lost, I think, if you write to a database and not to at least a front
> end cache.  CISCO, Oracle, etc are all going, going, gone in this
> direction.  It's not an option in our case.
>
>> Apart from that, it would be very interesting to see how a COTS DB
>> backed javaspace whould behave in practice. And it could be the
>> first step into producing alternative persistence mechanisms. In
>> the early stage it would be comfortable to know we don't have to
>> prove the correctness of a cots-db. In a later stage we can always
>> look at lifting the transaction based blockstorage layer from derby
>> or another java based db for instance.

As you have quoted an email i've send, i will assume that the quoting
order got somehow confused.

Mike, i hope that you are not confusing the process vs the outcome.
Driving down the issue that you don't like databases, should not
influence a committers freedom to dabble with the idea.

A relational database for you is out of the question, noted. Shall we
move on?

Gr. Sim