river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Formatting of River Source Tree
Date Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:31:00 GMT
On 12/12/2010 3:03 AM, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 11:34 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> Okay, this is good news, and I guess I just did not see this being
>> added. I've turned on per project formatting for the Jini tree as "tabs
>> are 8" and "indentation is 4" and that makes a huge difference in
>> readability. So maybe I can just relax a bit about this issue.
>
> I've added a small note about the tabstops. Everybody in agreement?
>
> Gr. Sim
>

> # Coding conventions
>
> ## Indentation
> Tabs are not used. Default indentation is 4 spaces.
>
> ## Other
> Contributors are advised to read
> <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconv-138413.html>
> and try to adhere as much as possible to these conventions.
>
> ## Older sources
> We do not actively search and reformat source files
> that are not formatted according to this convention.
>
> Tab stops are considered to be on 8 spaces interval.

I would prefer "Older sources are best viewed with tab stops at 8 space
intervals", to make it clearer that we should not be generating more
mixed tabs-and-spaces code.

The tabs vs. spaces argument is a trade-off between the flexibility of
all tabs and the reliably readable display in all environments of all
spaces. Mixing tabs and spaces gets the worst of both worlds. It must be
viewed with one specific tab setting.

Patricia