river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Re: Formatting of River Source Tree
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 14:14:42 GMT
Tom Hobbs wrote:
> Okay, I get it.  I think.
>
> A mass re-formating of the entire source is definitely a waste of time
> and effort.

I agree.

> So does the following scenario meet this standard?
>
> - I want to make a meaningful change to Class A.
> - Class A is badly formatted.
> - I fix the formatting of Class A.
> - I commit Class A.
> - I make my meaningful change to Class A.
> - I commit Class A.
>
> The above process has served me well in the past.

I think this is a good process with one small change. During debug, I
sometimes have to keep visiting and studying a class that is not
necessarily the root cause of the bug. I would like to have the option of:

- I need to study Class A.
- Class A is badly formatted.
- I fix the formatting of Class A.
- I commit Class A.
- I make my meaningful change to Class B.
- I commit Class B.

In other words, don't go looking for classes to reformat, but if you
trip over a badly formatted class that is getting in the way, reformat
and commit it.

I do think general reformatting of a complete class should be a separate
commit, clearly labeled as reformatting.