river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject [VOTE] Re: Formatting of River Source Tree
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 02:15:08 GMT
Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> So then when I am messing with my own code and "spaced" code, I have
>> to jump through all kinds of hoops in the end to not end up with a
>> mismash of tabbing.
>>
>> Okay, enough said.
>>
>> Gregg Wonderly
>>

> I actually changed to tabs the first time you suggested it, it seemed
> like a good suggestion, I guess Programmers can be a finicky bunch.
>
> Never mind, should I change back to spaces now?

I think everything worth saying about this has been said, and we need to
make a decision one way or another and stick with it. I prefer spaces,
but feel far more strongly in favor of a common convention. I suggest we
vote between two options, unless someone wants to strongly push
something else:

Option 1: An indentation step is four spaces.
Option 2: An indentation step is a single tab.

I'm +0.5 for option 1.

It's only 0.5 because I'm more concerned about reaching consensus than
the actual choice, and I do have access to project-specific settings in
my preferred IDE.

Patricia