river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Jini Community Projects on Java.net WAS: Re: java.net
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:56:32 GMT
We are community, we need to be careful not to Borg, but to foster.

We can encourage important projects to become River sub projects.  This
will grow our community further.

Gregg and his projects are part of our community, why not contribute to
Gregg's project instead, as it appears we're trying to implement /
duplicate existing functionality.  I think you'll find other parts of
his projects are also useful.

When we bring code into River from subprojects we take on the
responsibility of maintaining that code, it also becomes the default
implementation.  We have a responsibility to take more than our own
needs into consideration.

River is a platform and I agree we need to make it easier to deploy.  A
lot of external projects do this already, perhaps we can link to these?

I also acknowledge that fragmentation causes confusion, so perhaps it is
time we widen the net, and capture some common functionality implemented
in various down stream projects, this would need to be done as a process
of consultation.

I understand also what it feels like when your trying to get something
done and someone throws up a roadblock or another hoop to jump through
and how difficult it has been in the past to get things done, however if
done properly it's an achievement that you'll be recognised for, rather
than resented.

If you just want to code though, perhaps you can create a subproject,
making River easier to use and deploy for first time developers, this
might also encourage projects with competing functionality to become
subproject's of River to get more of the limelight.

Cheers,

Peter.