river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Progress, and a problem
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 05:04:07 GMT
I've thought about it a bit, and strongly suggest first looking to see
if there is a reasonably good existing benchmark for JavaSpaces. If
there is, we should certainly consider it.

Otherwise, I suggest making the benchmark deal with two types of data,
"reference" and "transaction". Reference data is written rarely, remains
in the space for a long time, and is frequently read. Groups of
transaction entries are written by one transaction, and removed when it
completes. They have short lifetimes.

The benchmark should have parameters that let us shift proportions of
different entry behavior, numbers of threads, numbers of transactions etc.

I've written a relatively simple unit test for
com.sun.jini.outrigger.FastList that sometimes gets a null pointer
exception in it. FastList is the lowest level class involved in storing
outrigger's entries. As far as I can tell, my use of FastList conforms
to its interface, and the problem is internal to it.

Patricia

On 12/4/2010 5:50 PM, MICHAEL MCGRADY wrote:
> I think you are more objective than that and would be interested in your suggestion(s).
>
> MG
>
> On Dec 4, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>
>> Also, it may be worth searching for JavaSpace benchmarks. I don't want to write or
pick the benchmark myself, because it should reflect a users-eye-view of JavaSpaces. I might
accidentally bias the benchmark to reflect my current thinking on performance improvement.

>> Patricia
>>

>> On 12/4/2010 6:24 AM, Mike McGrady wrote:
>>> Yes - there is.  Let me noodle this.  i will have to make adjustments, factor
in time, etc.

>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> Michael McGrady
>>> Principal investigator AF081_028 SBIR
>>> Chief Architect
>>> Topia Technology, Inc
>>> Work 1.253.572.9712
>>> Cel 1.253.720.3365

with other pro-JavaSpaces people on the developer and user mailing lists to make it realistic.

In the long term, I want to make it faster.

of operation of the current outrigger implementation.