river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Formatting of River Source Tree
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 14:50:48 GMT
Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> As I've said here before and elsewhere, I really feel that tabs only is
> the most beneficial indentation to use.  The reason is that it allows
> people who use odd tab intervals to still see things and use their tab
> key while editing without having to change their IDE settings while
> editing.
>
> Sun has an old formatting document that discusses using spaces only, and
> netbeans does this by default.  The biggest issue for me, of course, is
> that I use 4 character tab expansion and tabs only in all of my
> development.
>
> In an open source world, all tabs is really the only thing that provides
> the most flexibility it seems to me.

My current approach in making changes to River is to try to be
consistent with the code around the change.

I am very strongly opposed to mixing tabs and space, because it loses
indentation consistency unless viewed with the same tab size as was used
to create it.

I prefer all spaces because it avoids the nasty over-indentation you get
if all tabs is viewed in with 8 spaces per tab. For example, tabbed code
has real problems when  quoted in mail or newsgroup messages. However,
I'm generally willing to be flexible about this sort of thing.

Patricia