river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Possible multi-threading bug
Date Sun, 28 Nov 2010 23:16:34 GMT
In the way in which this is used, I expect most of the calls to be to
increment. It has to be synchronized, so it seems simplest to
synchronize all the methods.

I've done some more experiments, and decided this is a real problem. As
part of my debug effort, I increased the number of threads in the stress
test, so that it fails much more often. I also added some debug
printouts, one of which was showing up in conjunction with some but not
all failures, so I thought it was irrelevant.

With the additional synchronization, the debug message shows up in all
failures. I think I actually had two forms of failure, one of which is
fixed by the synchronization.  In the failure case that has been fixed,
everything works, no debug messages, but the test never admits to having
finished, exactly the symptom I would expect from this issue.

I plan to check in the enhanced test as well as the fixes, because it
only takes a few minutes longer than the current size, and is much
better at finding bugs.

Patricia