river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject QA proper shutdown
Date Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:36:30 GMT
> Scheme 1: Modify each class that calls Runtime.getRuntime.exec to
> register a shutdownHook to destroy the Process that exec returned.

> Scheme 2: Require each public static void main(String[]) method in River
> to log the pid of its process in a log message with a specific format.
> Write a program that scans the log file for those messages, and kills
> each process.

What about having the VM kill itself when a keepalive condition does not
occur anymore. A watchdog. The best way for such a condition is a
condition managed by the OS. A socket whould be a good candidate. In
fact there is already such a mechanism. Just look for KEEPALIVE_PORT in
the QA harness, It is in MasterHarness and SlaveHarness.

The strategy would be as follows (not verified with the actual
keepaliveport implementation).

The coordinating process opens a ServerSocket. The subordinate processes
try to open this socket. If they fail or if the socket is closed at a
later stage, they selfdestruct.

I just coded the HeartOfTheMachine because i needed to be sure, and it
was much simpler than verifing the keepalive port mechanism. But i
prefer the keepaliveport. If we agree on this mechanism beeing
theoretically foolproof, we can have a look if this mechanism is
implemented for every test scenario, and fix it where its not.

Gr. Sim