river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject New name for Jini TCK? Was: Re: River-32 Clarification of Code Provenance
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:58:10 GMT
Nigel Daley wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>

>> River is an Implementation of the Jini Spec.
>>
>> There is a Patent covenant, see River-339
>>
>> Sun is re-licensing its Jini technology Standard specifications under
>> ALv2 and providing a separate "Jini Community Standards Patent
>> Non-Assertion Covenant ("Covenant") that enables others to create
>> unrestricted independent implementations of the specifications.
>>

>> There is a significant amount of remaining code, relevant to Apache River, which
we may not be able to use as subprojects due to code provenance.

>> I've closed River-338, which was for creating a subproject of the existing implementation
of Jini Surrogate, since I haven't been able to satisfy code provenance rules.  We can consider
a clean room implementation for Jini Surrogate.

>> Nigel Daley has confirmed that he is the primary author of the Jini TCK, River-32.
 Since Sun Microsystems licensed this code under AL2 and have provided a Patent Covenant and
Nigel is an Emeritus Committer of Apache River, is this sufficient provenance to make a Subproject
proposal for the Discovery Lookup and Join Test Kit?

>> If this is the case, I was also wondering if Nigel would like to propose a name for
the TCK Project?

> Not much of a namer (just look at it's current name :p ).  I happily defer to the active
community :-)

> Cheers,
> Nige

Can anyone think of name for the Jini TCK?

Cheers,

Peter.