river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Graduation - Was Re: Praise for River Development team
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:04:30 GMT
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> One thing I'd like to see before graduation is a clear roadmap for
>> when and how River will be migrating from com.sun (and com.artima)
>> packages to org.apache. Even better (but not necessary) if this
>> migration could be done before graduation.
>
> The difficult part of this is deciding how to handle it in terms of
> releases. We are well on the way to a bug fix release that should be
> able to run all categories of QA test. Do we want to combine the
> package name change with that, or do it as a separate release?
>
> My initial feeling is to keep them separate, and do the bug fix
> release first. The bug fix release is not a comparability issue. There
> have been some indications that some com.sun.jini classes are being
> used in user code, so the package name change may have more impact on
> users.
>
> The actual mechanics of renaming packages while preserving the history
> is a job for an IDE. In the past, I've done it using Eclipse with one
> of the subversion plug-ins.
>
> Patricia

Some thoughts:

I think we could move service implementations and proxy's first, client
code should not directly depend on these and it moves large quantity of
code to the new name space.

Due to the size of the task of moving all of com.sun.* and the potential
implications, I think we should take a softly softly approach, this
might take a number of releases.

As we rebuild the namespace we could make it more modular as we progress.

Cheers,

Peter.