river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Graduation - Was Re: Praise for River Development team
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2010 03:05:01 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> One thing I'd like to see before graduation is a clear roadmap for
> when and how River will be migrating from com.sun (and com.artima)
> packages to org.apache. Even better (but not necessary) if this
> migration could be done before graduation.

The difficult part of this is deciding how to handle it in terms of
releases. We are well on the way to a bug fix release that should be
able to run all categories of QA test. Do we want to combine the package
name change with that, or do it as a separate release?

My initial feeling is to keep them separate, and do the bug fix release
first. The bug fix release is not a comparability issue. There have been
some indications that some com.sun.jini classes are being used in user
code, so the package name change may have more impact on users.

The actual mechanics of renaming packages while preserving the history
is a job for an IDE. In the past, I've done it using Eclipse with one of
the subversion plug-ins.

Patricia