river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Service Specifics
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2010 16:36:43 GMT
On 12-11-10 12:00, Tom Hobbs wrote:
> So I was wondering if that is still the consideration of the
> community.  I'm proposing writing something along the lines of a
> "VmAdmin" to provide some of these features.  In the example I gave
> above, we implemented these things by adding additional methods to the
> service interface, but it would have been a better solution to have
> them in the infrastructure.

To recap what i understand until now:
You want to include code, that presents itself as a service, and
provides telemetry about a vm.

If thats the case no objections. I like the idea of more telemetry. JMX
is implemented with remoting. So if we divide the problem, whe have the
telemetry hooks into the jini kernel, and the transport.

JMX can have all kind of transports, so if you model it a bit like
MBeans we can later add a jini based JMX agent to it. Currently i have
RMI based JMX transports in use, and i don't like the firewall issues
with RMI. I would be very nice, if there is a service for every VM where
you can get your JMX data from.

And if you export all the MBean look-a-likes through a central method,
you can cook whatever security model you like there.

Where do you expect you want to amend the jini apis?

Gr. Sim