river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Hudson build is back to normal : River-trunk-QA #51
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 22:05:40 GMT
Jonathan Costers wrote:
> Maybe we can migrate the valuable tests in that jtreg suite to either JUnit
> or QA tests? I am aware there are caveats (test isolation level for
> instance), but they seem to be manageable. I'm talking about a gradual
> process here, converting test after test over a long period of time. We are
> talking about around 100 jtreg tests, with varying complexity and isolation
> levels.

+1 on the general concept, subject to some experimentation.

Some of them may duplicate existing QA or JUnit tests, so there are
three end points for a given jtreg test: drop it, convert it to QA, or
convert it to JUnit. In some cases "convert" may mean write a new test
that fits in one of the preferred frameworks and tests the same issues
as the jtreg test.

Any thoughts on how to organize this effort? A hundred separate JIRA
issues seems excessive. Maybe one JIRA and use comments to say which
tests we are working on?

Also, perhaps we could set up a Wiki page or similar to share any ideas
and insights on questions such as how to decide whether to convert to QA
or JUnit, and how to go about the conversion?

Patricia