river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is River?
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:00:22 GMT

On Oct 15, 2010, at 738AM, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:

> On 15-10-10 13:17, Tom Hobbs wrote:
>> So my question is this; do people see River as existing solely to
>> provide functionality to the third party containers, thereby meaning
>> that developers should only ever be downloading River as a dependency
>> for their chosen container/application; or do we see developers
>> downloading and using River directly?
>>
>> My personal view is *both*.
>
> Both! We dont have, nor desire any control over all the additions you can find on the
internet. Others have made forks of jini/river and added facilities to it. No problem with
that. But the River community right now should care foremost about itself. When we have our
house in order, then we can care about others. Right now we are working hard to make River
a popular package, and try to reduce the tendency of others to fork.

I dont know of any available open source project that builds on River that has actually forked
the River codebase. I do know of at least one commercial company that has forked River (and
also forked my project).

> I refuse to let our attempts at lowering the threshold be stifled by others who think
we should leave this to them.

Lowering the threshold? In what way? By taking advantage of experiences that others have had
over the past decade of using Jini, that have put those experiences into projects external
to Jini?

I'm not telling you to stop, I'm telling you to first look around and see whats out there.
If you dont like it, go re-develop what (in my guess) most likely exists and is running in
someone's application today.

Cheers

Dennis