river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Bug fixing
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:43:38 GMT
Resendes was one of the original Sun, Jini developers, so the use of his computer would indicate
something that he worked on creating I'd guess.

Gregg Wonderly

On Oct 21, 2010, at 9:18 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> Jonathan Costers wrote:
>> If we can get these cleared up, I believe we have a solid test base in place
>> to start validating some new developments and experiments.
>
> I have a few remaining test-related concerns:
>
> 1. Tests with multiple computers. This may be what "resendes" is about. Surely many Apache
projects need this for testing, so the infrastructure should have some way of applying multiple
virtual computers for a single test.

> 2. Skipped tests. The category suppression suggests to me that River, or maybe Jini before
it, went through a phase in which the developers took a "shoot the messenger" approach to
test failures. If so, some of the skipped tests could be valid tests that, if run, would tell
us something we need to hear. Once I've done with failures that are preventing whole categories
from running, I want to review the skipped tests to make sure each skip is commented with
a better reason than the test failing.

> 3. Lack of effective testing of concurrency and retry behavior in JoinManager and ServiceDiscoveryManager.
I did start looking at building a mock environment around SDM for the purpose of forcing high
traffic and difficult combinations of actions. Once we have all the existing tests running,
I'm going to take another look at how effectively these difficult and important classes are
being tested.