river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Extras (Was: PGP)
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:47:47 GMT
I think that splitting the platform/services apart and allowing each
to mature separately is a good idea and one we should do - in fact I
think that there's been a fair bit of recent discussion about what the
build artifacts should be.

> Adding utilities at this point seems to be a one-off

I disagree with this bit, because I envisage these "extras" to always
increasing and maturing as new features arrive in the River code base.
 Certainly, there'll be a large one-off chunk of activity to write a
bunch of the first ones

> and none of the services actually use the utilities (eating your own dog food).

Yes, I agree that the services do not use these utilities, but that's
missing the point.  In my view, these utilities should *not* be used
by the services anyway.  The ones that I've got in mind sit above the
services and (will) provide easy and convenient ways to allow
Application Developers (AD) to quickly _use_ those services.  Sorry if
I didn't make that more clear.

> [1] Lets not also forget that there are plenty of utilities available with external project
like Rio, Seven, etc... IMO, failure to look at these as providing
> utility to the project will be a disservice to the community at large.

I agree again here, but again with a caveat.  I would like to see a
lot more chatter going on between as many of those external projects
and River as possible.  I think a possible reason for the lack of
chatter has been the recent comparative lack of activity on River's
part (and I shoulder my share of the blame for that).  Now that River
is starting to gather momentum again, it'd be good if we could put our
collective heads together a bit more.

Having said that, what I'd like to do with these Extras is to allow an
AD to download River and have a Jar and/or cookbook which they can
easily read to get them going.  As it stands, justing writing a "Hello
World" service is not documented on the River site or made easy - and
it should be.  I don't want to take anything away from all the
fabulous external projects built on top of River/Jini, but as a AD
myself, I don't want to have to download River and then be told that I
need to make another decision about which external project I need to
download next in order to write effective River services.  Then I need
to learn how to knit the two together.

What I'd like to see (on the River site and what Sim and I seem to be
trying to work towards) is having some documentation that says, "If
you want to do common use case ABC; look in the extras.jar for class
DEF and use it in the following way."  This will get users started
learning how River works, without frustrating them by only supplying
them with the Jini specs and expecting them to just get on with it.  I
have no qualms about adding additional text to each recipe in the cook
book saying "... and if you want to do it properly, or in way that has
these additional benefits, then consider downloading project XYZ".

Actually, if external project authors want to drive people to their
sites, may I cheekily suggest that they write a "How-to" do something
in plain old River, a How-To do that thing better in their project,
and then donate the first half of that document to the River site?

If my goal of "make it easy and obvious to application developers" can
be met with no extra code and just documentation and links to external
projects, then great.  In my opinion though, this appears to imply the
assertion "if you want to do anything useful in River then you need to
download an additional external project".  Which is the same
disservice to River that River ignoring those same external projects
would be to them.

Cheers,

Tom

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:
> With the JSK landscape as populated as it is right now with services and utilities, I
would suggest that as part of an upcoming release the project starts to breakout the JSK into
platform, services and utilities [1] first, before adding additional code.

> Consider now we have
>
> Infrastructure/Platform:
> Discovery & Join, Lookup, Leasing, Transactions, Distributed Security, Events
>
> Services:
> Outrigger, Reggie, Mercury, Mahalo, Fiddler, Norm
>
> I would suggest that Reggie be added to the platform, and the rest of the services be
put into a services subproject (or module) and allowed to move on their way. Adding utilities
at this point seems to be a one-off, and none of the services actually use the utilities (eating
your own dog food).