river-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher Dolan" <christopher.do...@avid.com>
Subject Proposal: change com.sun.jini.landlord to be public API
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:06:21 GMT
The com.sun.jini.landlord classes are self-described as "a utility for
services implementing leases".  The package.html says:

   "Using the classes in this package, you can write services that
export leases and handle primarily those factors that are unique to your
service, letting the utility classes do generic lease-related work."

The landlord classes are used by Outrigger, Mahalo, Norm and Mercury.
They are fairly generic and are very useful (my team uses them in two of
our proprietary services).

To prevent developers from reinventing this particular wheel, I propose
that these classes be moved out of the private com.sun.jini namespace
and into the public API, either net.jini.landlord or
org.apache.river.api.landlord.

A significant problem for this proposal is that the following
com.sun.jini.* dependencies would need to be refactored or moved with
the landlord utilities:

  com.sun.jini.landlord.ConstrainableLandlordLeaseMap
     -> com.sun.jini.proxy.ConstrainableProxyUtil
  com.sun.jini.landlord.ConstrainableLandlordLease
     -> com.sun.jini.proxy.ConstrainableProxyUtil
  com.sun.jini.landlord.LandlordLease
     -> com.sun.jini.lease.AbstractLease
  com.sun.jini.landlord.LandlordLeaseMap
     -> com.sun.jini.lease.AbstractLeaseMap

I'm posting this proposal here rather than Jira because I suspect it may
be controversial.

Chris