river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: modularizing river
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2010 06:20:00 GMT
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 10/30/2010 02:36 PM, Mike wrote:
>> On 30/10/2010 13:50, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
>>
>>> - find,define,declare uni-directional dependencies
>>
>> This was the main focus of my initial explorations, and I found quite a
>> bit of tangled references that make the task not-so-easy.
>
> The build tools and jeri are easily done (i hope). We dont need to
> separate api and implementation here, if you want to distribute an
> alternative implementation you can build a distribution yourself, right?
> Also, the distribution of jeri needs to be done by the system
> integrator, so no download (remote codebase jars) for jeri.
>
> Does anybody see a documentable use for the classdep tool(s) for a
> system integrator? If so we need to distribute it. If not we shouldnt.

It could be broken out as a separate tool, it's useful for determining
dependencies, when you don't know what they are, however if a project is
planned and managed, then the tool is optional.  I wonder what Dennis
Reedy thinks?

> And as soon as we start with services we need a registry, right? Or
> shall we start with a services modules were we clump everything together?

The registry can be elsewhere, a client only needs the ServiceRegistrar
interface and associated parameter classes (Service API).  I like the
idea of service modules, however the Services API's are a separate
concern and theoretically can have multiple implementations.  The
service implementations are injected at runtime.

Cheers,

Peter.