river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Bug fixing
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:15:16 GMT
I've made some progress on one form of failure, a resource remaining
available after its lease was scheduled to expire.

If the test pauses, e.g due to an inserted Thread.sleep, between
creating the lease and probing it for the first time, the test passes.
The effect of either of these actions is to delay the probe until after
the lease has expired. Incidentally, hooking up to the Eclipse debugger
was very helpful in discovering this behavior. The first indication was
when I spent a few minutes investigating at a breakpoint, let it
continue, and the test passed.

If the test gets to the probe point before the lease is due to expire,
it goes into a polling loop. No matter how long it stays in the polling
loop, the lease does not expire. Somehow, the probe loop has the effect
of preventing expiration.

I would like to understand the rules for lease expiration. What actions
should extend a lease? Is the lease manager required to expire it on
schedule? (Even if it is not required to expire the lease I still need
to find out whether the non-expiration is deliberate design or due to a
bug.)

Can anyone point me to documentation or a tutorial that would help?

Thanks,

Patricia