river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Bug fixing
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:18:45 GMT
Jonathan Costers wrote:
> If we can get these cleared up, I believe we have a solid test base in place
> to start validating some new developments and experiments.

I have a few remaining test-related concerns:

1. Tests with multiple computers. This may be what "resendes" is about.
Surely many Apache projects need this for testing, so the infrastructure
should have some way of applying multiple virtual computers for a single
test.

2. Skipped tests. The category suppression suggests to me that River, or
maybe Jini before it, went through a phase in which the developers took
a "shoot the messenger" approach to test failures. If so, some of the
skipped tests could be valid tests that, if run, would tell us something
we need to hear. Once I've done with failures that are preventing whole
categories from running, I want to review the skipped tests to make sure
each skip is commented with a better reason than the test failing.

3. Lack of effective testing of concurrency and retry behavior in
JoinManager and ServiceDiscoveryManager. I did start looking at building
a mock environment around SDM for the purpose of forcing high traffic
and difficult combinations of actions. Once we have all the existing
tests running, I'm going to take another look at how effectively these
difficult and important classes are being tested.

Patricia