river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: What is River?
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:38:08 GMT
On 15-10-10 13:17, Tom Hobbs wrote:
> So my question is this; do people see River as existing solely to
> provide functionality to the third party containers, thereby meaning
> that developers should only ever be downloading River as a dependency
> for their chosen container/application; or do we see developers
> downloading and using River directly?
>
> My personal view is *both*.

Both! We dont have, nor desire any control over all the additions you
can find on the internet. Others have made forks of jini/river and added
facilities to it. No problem with that. But the River community right
now should care foremost about itself. When we have our house in order,
then we can care about others. Right now we are working hard to make
River a popular package, and try to reduce the tendency of others to fork.

I refuse to let our attempts at lowering the threshold be stifled by
others who think we should leave this to them.

Gr. Sim