river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject River-32 Clarification of Code Provenance
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 22:42:42 GMT
River is an Implementation of the Jini Spec.

There is a Patent covenant, see River-339

Sun is re-licensing its Jini technology Standard specifications under
ALv2 and providing a separate "Jini Community Standards Patent
Non-Assertion Covenant ("Covenant") that enables others to create
unrestricted independent implementations of the specifications.

There is a significant amount of remaining code, relevant to Apache
River, which we may not be able to use as subprojects due to code
provenance.

I've closed River-338, which was for creating a subproject of the
existing implementation of Jini Surrogate, since I haven't been able to
satisfy code provenance rules.  We can consider a clean room
implementation for Jini Surrogate.

Nigel Daley has confirmed that he is the primary author of the Jini TCK,
River-32.  Since Sun Microsystems licensed this code under AL2 and have
provided a Patent Covenant and Nigel is an Emeritus Committer of Apache
River, is this sufficient provenance to make a Subproject proposal for
the Discovery Lookup and Join Test Kit?

If this is the case, I was also wondering if Nigel would like to propose
a name for the TCK Project?

Cheers,

Peter.