river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Towards Internet Jini Services (trust)
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 11:21:27 GMT
I think we have to be very careful about placing the burden of security
decisions on users, history has shown the user makes bad choices.

Perhaps what we could come up with are some questions to help determine
trust.

The user might be able to obtain some feedback from other's who have
used the service.

Then based on the feedback the user provides about the level of trust,
we can determine if the Permission's the service has requested is
consistent with the level of trust.

We have to be careful of information loss and privacy first and foremost.

Note that Google abandoned the Java fine grained permission model in
Android.  That aside, this research paper using tainted variables in
Android holds some valuable lessons.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/09/30/1640223/Many-More-Android-Apps-Leaking-User-Data

I think corporate environments are generally slow adopters of technology.

Cheer,

Peter.