river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Towards Internet Jini Services (trust)
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 09:39:35 GMT
On 09/29/2010 11:45 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> For myself, the primary consideration is whether the arguments in RPC
> calls are actually "downloaded classes" vs "downloaded data". In the
> simple sense, "downloaded classes" are "downloaded data".

I agree with you. A downloaded class is a specialization of downloaded
data. Or maybe even not, but lets not go there.

In general terms, a class has more degrees of freedom than data. Because
a class is executed by a turing complete state machine and most of the
time the machine executing data is less complete.

My personal view on this matter revolves around the burden it puts on
the user. When i download code and run its installer, i trust the code
to well behave. When i run the installer i make one big trust decision.
I can audit the files installed if i'm really paranoid, or a security
researcher. When i run my jini application, it connects to some
registry, downloads a jar into memory and executes it. This jar can be
same as yesterday or it might not. I can't tell. Does it perform the
same function?

The basic components are the same, but i see distinct differences. Do
you see this agility to take off in a corporate environment?

Gr. Sim