river-dev mailing list archives

From Zsolt Kúti <kuti.zs...@prolan.hu>
Subject Re: Extras (Was: PGP)
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 07:01:38 GMT
Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:24:07 +0100 -n
Tom Hobbs <tvhobbs@googlemail.com> írta:

Hello,

> The way I've described River in the past has been as Lego bricks.  To
> my mind, River is the very small Lego bricks; the ones that you can
> use to build absolutely anything you want.  In my opinion, (and also
> in my experience), Application Developers don't want very small Lego
> bricks.  They want door pieces, hinges, long bits, Lego motors and
> little Lego monkeys.  River certainly doesn't supply any of those, if
> you want a hinge, then you can use the little bricks to make one and
> everyone has to make their own hinges.
I like this conceit :-)

> I hope I'm not going to get flamed for saying that a River
> distribution should include some pre-built (lego) assemblies.
> Probably in a separate JAR(s).
>
> A while back, Sim and I can up with the idea of having an "extras"
> package (or entirely new source directory) for such things to go in.
> I've made a start with a self-healing proxy in a skunk branch - it
> just needs documentation now.  I've got a few other ideas of things to
> put in here and of course more ideas/contributions are always welcome.
I am for one is interested in that self-healing proxy, as have just
arrived to a point being able to value it. And how many similar bits of
wisdom can exist all over in others codebases...

River can benefit from having cookbook-like documentation, too.
Sometimes this is just what is needed to implement something quickly. A
an example was when I wanted to implement an own leased resource. It
has too many aspects to consider which can be daunting for a developer
not too long in the River business.

In my experience, first steps developing and trying out services made
easy by containers (tried Seven/JSC and Rio), which perhaps do not fit
your lego image, but also an important toolbox at our hand.

> Convincing people to use something is always easier if you can give
> them free stuff.  While it's true that you get a *lot* of really good
> free stuff with River/Jini, it tends to be lower level, i.e. not
> Application Level, stuff.  When starting out with River/Jini, because
> there is so much going on, it can be difficult to see the wood for the
> trees.  I think working on some of this "extras" stuff (and
> documentation, tutorials etc) might be enough of a sweetener to get
> other people using it.
Fully agree.

> If we were to vote, I'd put this and bug fixes to be the focus for the
> next release.
Agree once again.

Zsolt