river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: use case for runtime downloadable code
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:47:06 GMT

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 05:36, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> Can somebody come up with a use case where it is absolutely necessary to
> download code at runtime, where the effort of downloading it upfront is
> so big compared to at runtime?
>
> Gr. Sim

Smart proxies.  Flexible protocols.  Two services offering the same
interface, one of which uses JERI and one of which uses an in-memory
handler.  Remote event listeners that do filtering on the "event
generator" side, and only go to the consumer if the consumer is really
interested in the event.

"The end of protocols" is not just a concept.  To require fixed,
preloaded proxies is to tear the heart and soul out of Jini.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk
--
Greg Trasuk, President