river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SimpleJeri
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:17:20 GMT

On Oct 13, 2010, at 1204PM, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:

> On 10/13/2010 05:58 PM, Dennis Reedy wrote:
>> Okay, now I understand. This is about creating a simple
>> client/service example that uses JERI, but doesnt use discovery from
>> a client point of view, or discovery/join from a service point of
>> view. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
>>
>> The question I have is if you consider using the various helper
>> classes in your skunk branch as _the way_ to create services going
>> forward.
>
> I'm not sure if there is _the way_ to anything.

Okay, but do realize that once you put something like this into a cookbook, it can quickly
become _the way_ for those that wish to develop services using River.

> But i sure would like to hear where your specific (dis)approval lies.

I dont have any disapproval, from what I've seen they look pretty straight forward and similar
to what has been written in the past.

> If there are any serious errors i certainly like to hear them. If you have concrete improvements
i also like to hear them.

Not sure about errors at this point, just questions. Simple one that comes to mind is I'm
not sure why you need a JiniComponent annotation, seems unnecessary, looks to be just a marker?
If the client passes in the class, why not just go find that?

Also, you may want to consider returning a Future for ImportHelper.getInstance().

If I have the time I'll post back more. Just make sure that what you're doing has not already
been done with the utilities found in the myriad of Jini projects. I know Gregg has done some
great stuff, I have things in Rio, etc ....

Please take this as constructive, you seem to be doing a tremendous job moving the project
forward!

Dennis