river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Towards Internet Jini Services (why)
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:23:31 GMT
On 29-09-10 10:26, Zoltan Juhasz wrote:
> I'll think about it a bit more and come back with issues. Let's discuss
> where Jini should be heading on the Internet.

I think, there is no other direction than going internet. Currently
people and organisations like to make a simple distinction. LAN is safe,
internet is not. With the proliferation of trojans, and the knowledge to
writing them, the concept of a safe LAN is impossible te keep. So
instead of following the crowd with increasing investment in firewalls,
IDS technology to keep our LAN clean, we should jump in at the other
end. Expose our technology to the most dangerous environment possible.
The Internet! A jini enabled device should survive and maintain their
function, when deployed on the internet. We should create best practices
for internet deployment and work on the biggest hurdles right now, which
are:
- lack of broadcast capabilities
- firewalls
- trust relations