river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Build crashes (Was: Re: Request for testing help)
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:48:05 GMT
On 09/25/2010 03:15 PM, Jonathan Costers wrote:
> Not sure if I follow you ... Debug the VM?
> The crash report clearly shows what is causing the VM to crash, or am I
> missing something? :-)
> As far as I know, no sequence error ... the build works fine 95% of the
> time.
> And no, no assumptions abt state either.
> I'm suspecting something in the JarWrapper code is causing this to happen in
> some cicumstances.

The crashing VM does not prove either a correct or incorrect test
result. So it's a waste of time.

When something works not 100% or 0% of the time, clearly its result
depends on external factors.

If i would have known about a sequence error, i would have told you. But
you cannot exclude it. Tasks overlapping, daemons binding sockets you
want to use, scheduling delays, etc.

The only thing we can do here is to run on a daemonless system, with as
little network (outside) interaction as possible.

But then, what does this tell us about robustness in a heterogeneous
environment.

Gr. Sim