river-dev mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes - QCG <...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: Build crashes (Was: Re: Request for testing help)
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:23:04 GMT
> I needed to do a general reset before starting a new set of tests. I
> completely shut down (virtual power off) all my VMs and restarted the
> system. This happened during the first build I did after restarting the
> VM in question. Before the build, I had run gedit but no tests. If it is
> a testing framework problem, it has to be in the junit testing that is
> done during the build.

The operating system is not without state, so a test might be influenced
by the state changes in the OS from the previous test.

For instance when a server socket is opened, and closed, you cannot
immediately bind on that same server socket, unless you specify
SO_REUSEADDR with setsockopt(). This is because after closing the socket
stays in TIME_WAIT2 state for some time.

So if you forget to specify SO_REUSEADDR on your server sockets, and run
the same test in rapid succession, it might fail.

I did a small codereview on the TcpServerEndpoint, and no mention of the
ServerSocket.setReuseAddress() call, so that is a potential cause.

Gr. Sim