river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Build crashes (Was: Re: Request for testing help)
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:05:59 GMT
On 9/25/2010 1:53 AM, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 09/25/2010 10:44 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> On 9/23/2010 7:09 AM, Jonathan Costers wrote:
>>> I have been planning to log a problem ticket at Oracle for these JVM
>>> crashes. So, if anyone comes across them, please post the
>>> hs_err_pidxxxx.log
>>> file that is outputed with the JVM crashes.
>>

>> This one was from OpenJDK - do you want to file separate bug reports for
>> each, or just file the Oracle one? As far as I can tell, both have the
>> problem, so it presumably predates the split.
>>
>> #
>> # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
>> #
>> J java.util.zip.ZipFile.getEntry(JLjava/lang/String;Z)J
>> java.util.zip.ZipFile.getEntry(Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/util/zip/ZipEntry;
>>

> I've seen many of these errors, in other projects. They were all caused
> by another process removing the jar files. I've also seen these errors
> during classloading in onexit handlers.
>
> Might there be a problem in the testing framework, where it cannot
> accurately kill a child vm, or cannot accurately wait until the child vm
> process is completely killed?

I like the framework theory because it explains the problem appearing
without picking up a new JDK and applying to both the Sun JDK and OpenJDK.

I needed to do a general reset before starting a new set of tests. I
completely shut down (virtual power off) all my VMs and restarted the
system. This happened during the first build I did after restarting the
VM in question. Before the build, I had run gedit but no tests. If it is
a testing framework problem, it has to be in the junit testing that is
done during the build.

Could it be in the build framework rather than the testing framework?

Patricia