river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Request for testing help
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:44:06 GMT
On 9/23/2010 7:25 AM, Jonathan Costers wrote:
> 2010/9/23 Patricia Shanahan<pats@acm.org>
>
>> I'll set up another VirtualBox Ubuntu and use the Sun JDK to build and run
>> in it. If the test ever fails I'll know the JDK is not the issue. If it does
>> not fail, the best I'll be able to do is estimate the posterior probability
>> of a failure rate due to similar probability of failure to the observed rate
>> on OpenJDK, given 0 observed failures on N runs.
>>

> One question, how much RAM are you assigning to your VMs?

1 GB per VirtualBox. I also tell them there are 8 processors, so they
can use all the hardware threads there are on my computer.

> Also, it may be interesting to note is that on Hudson, when using the ubuntu
> executors, the QA test suite consistently passes.
> On the solaris executors however, we consistently get one failing test.
> That is why you are seeing failed and passed builds intermittently being
> reported by Hudson.
>
> Would anybody oppose to split the QA build again:
> - one build only running on solaris executors (this one should consistently
> fail, for now)
> - one build only running on ubuntu executors (this one should consistently
> pass)
> - both are mutually exclusive, so if one is running, the other must wait (to
> not bring the Apache infrastructure to its knees ...)
> - eventually, we can look at running the QA suite on a windows(!) executor
> as well ...<ducks>

I would like to see MS-Windows added as soon as possible. It is a rather
popular operating system. I recently saw a major regression running QA
on WindowsXP, so that I am currently limited to my VirtualBox environments.

Patricia