river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Request for testing help
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 14:46:53 GMT
YES, PLEASE! Code reviews are a good thing in any case, and this is my
first open source, Apache, or River coding effort, so there may be style
issues.

My big picture objective is to improve the scalability of TaskManager,
as a response to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-344.

It was doing a lot of O(n) operations, mainly due to the use of an
ArrayList to represent essentially a FIFO. Those O(n) operations are
doubly bad news for scalability because they are done under
synchronization. I've reduced many of them to O(log n) by replacing the
ArrayList with a TreeSet and PriorityBlockingQueue, both in order of
arrival, the same order as the original ArrayList.

I may implement finer scale optimizations later, such as replacing
synchronization with atomic operations. However, in my experience it is
important to get the data structures and algorithms right first.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, even with Jonathan's heroic
test-enabling efforts, I don't think we have a good TaskManager
scalability test, or a test of the concurrent behavior of its clients.

Patricia