river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Modular Build, Java 5, (Was: Re: Unexpected Test Results)
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:55:04 GMT
On 9/14/2010 2:55 AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Tom Hobbs wrote:
>> In my mind, it's an attractive proposition to drop support for the older
>> JVMs and go straight into 1.5 - however I'm only one user and I wouldn't
>> have a problem if River did that.
>>
>> I think this question should be asked on the River Users list as well. If
>> there are active users out there who monitor River updates and the lists
>> then getting their feedback might make our decision easier.
>
> That's a good point Tom, this project does need more focus on users.

I think we should also ask users whether to do a smaller release soon or
wait until we have more content. In the longer term, I am a believer in
basing performance work on measurement. My current TaskManager
scalability mission cries out for access to a real workload that
exhibits scalability problems.

> In this case it would be about offering the user less and asking if it's
> ok.
> The only thing that Java 1.5 offers in Proxy code and Service API are
> some additional classes, not much good for API, but useful for some
> smart proxy's needing concurrency perhaps. But this is already possible.
> Once we take the users mind away from supporting Java 1.4 in Service
> API, however, we have to explain the difficulties of using Generics in
> Service API. For example you can use Specific generics List<Apple>, but
> not bounded wildcards, like List<? extends Fruit>, or List<T>

We will have to solve those problems anyway to go to 1.6, the current
Java release. I am currently having to work around the lack of the 1.6
features in java.util.TreeSet.

Patricia