river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <michael.mcgr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Towards Internet Jini Services (why)
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:09:23 GMT
+1  Take the bull by the horns - solve the problems.  Move on!  Good show!
On Sep 29, 2010, at 1:44 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:

> Sim,
>
> Very well said.
>
> +1. Peter.
>

> Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
>> On 29-09-10 10:26, Zoltan Juhasz wrote:
>>> I'll think about it a bit more and come back with issues. Let's discuss
>>> where Jini should be heading on the Internet.
>>
>> I think, there is no other direction than going internet. Currently people and organisations
like to make a simple distinction. LAN is safe, internet is not. With the proliferation of
trojans, and the knowledge to writing them, the concept of a safe LAN is impossible te keep.
So instead of following the crowd with increasing investment in firewalls, IDS technology
to keep our LAN clean, we should jump in at the other end. Expose our technology to the most
dangerous environment possible. The Internet! A jini enabled device should survive and maintain
their function, when deployed on the internet. We should create best practices for internet
deployment and work on the biggest hurdles right now, which are:
>> - lack of broadcast capabilities
>> - firewalls
>> - trust relations
>>
>> Gr. Sim