river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject September Status Report
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:55:14 GMT
Here's the status report for September.  I'll work out what to do with it
once it gets signed off by a mentor.

Comments?

River

Apache River is a distributed computing architecture, based on the JSK
Starter Kit Source code donated by Sun Microsystems, for the Jini
Specification. While generally referred to as a Service Architecture, it
might be more easily explained to those familiar with Dependency Injection
as a Protocol Independent, Distributed Dependency Injection Architecture,
suited to both hardware and software. Instead of depending on Protocols
directly for communication, everything is abstracted behind a Java
interface, allowing protocols and implementations to be swapped freely,
programming languages other than Java can also participate.

River has been appointed an additional mentor and has seen much increased
activity on the mailing list in recent weeks and months.

The next release 2.2.0 is scheduled for December, although some discussion
on whether this is a major release or not continues.

The Incubator PMC and Apache River PPMC have approved one new committer for
the project, the votes passed in August.

Current development efforts are still focused on a java.security.Policy
Provider with the following features:

Dynamic Grants at Runtime, based on CodeSource, Code Signer Certificate
chains , ProtectionDomain or ClassLoader.
Dynamic Revoke of Grant's at Runtime

Reviewing newly donated code updates and patches, including:

New CodebaseAccessClassLoader and associated changes
New StreamServiceRegistrar Interface and other additions
New ConcurrentDyamicPolicyProvider

Additionally:

Work is being performed on TaskManager by our newest committer
Increasing the test coverage, build process and Ant vs Maven work is ongoing
Entry-level documentation is starting to appear

We are experiencing increasing interest on our developer mailing list.

3 most important issues:
Code review and acceptance of newly submitted patches.
Streamline the build and test process.
Get our new committer svn accounts set up and grow our developer pool.

Signed off by mentor: