river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject River Status Update
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:13:49 GMT
As discussed, there's a blurb and the end of this email which I intend to
(somehow) get onto the River main web page as a bit of an update.  Does
anyone have any thoughts?  I've shamelessly enhanced (read: stolen) the
contents of Peter's status email from Tue, 11 May 2010 "Goals & Future
Roadmap".

The list of Jira issues at the end is ordered by "last edited" according to
the issue and was limited by my attention span looking through Jira.  Is
there anything on there that shouldn't be?  What big ones did I miss?

@Benson, is this this kind of thing you were talking about?

Cheers,

Tom

River is starting to gain some momentum and is seeing increasing activity on
it's developer mailing list. Lots of code and ideas are being thrown around
with some interesting discussions and some great code being produced. Add a
new Apache Mentor into the mix and the project is starting to look like it
could shape up for graduation soon...

Recent River event include:

* River 2.1.2 has been released
* New CodebaseAccessClassLoader and accociated changes submitted to svn
(Thanks to Gregg Wonderly)
* New StreamServiceRegistrar Interface and other additions proposed
and submitted to svn
* New ConcurrentDyamicPolicyProvider in svn
* New RevokeablePolicy in svn

New functionality and fixes in the pipeline include:

* New Groovy Configuration System (Thanks to Dennis Reedy)
* Fully functional ConcurrentDynamicPolicyProvider
* Fully functional RevokeablePolicy
* A StreamServiceRegistrar implementation

Future Roadmap:

* Integrate Jini Surrogate Architecture.
* Apache River - Java CDC support for dynamic code downloading and Jini
Services utilising a subset of Jini's API.
* Apache River 2.2.0 Release, Scheduled for December.
* Better "Getting starting" documentation for new River developers
* Better resources for users of River (Thanks to Tim Blackman for
Jini-in-a-Jar donation)

River is actively looking for people who can help with the following areas:

  * Revi1ew of patches waiting to be included into SVN, particularly
      - River-345: SDM LookupCache multi-LUS stale proxy/discard problems (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-345)
      - River-336: Jini should support platforms other than those with
RMIClassLoader as the classloading control point. IDEs inparticular need
help (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-336)
      - River-313: Provide mechanism to swap in alternatives to Java DSL for
service configuration (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-313)
    * New feature functionality, particularly
      - River-342: Jini in a Jar - some helpful utilities for newbie's (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-342)
      - River-337: Attempted discard of unknown registrar kills
LookupLocatorDiscovery thread (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-337)
      - River-332: Use of Depreciated Interface java.rmi.server.RemoteCall (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-332)
    * Updated documentation and tools for new River developers and
developers using River