river-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Murphy <btmurphy....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Committer List
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:13:18 GMT
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:19 AM, <confluence@apache.org> wrote:

Update committer list

> Edited by Jukka Zitting:

> |Jim Waldo|Sun Microsystems
> |John McClain|Sun Microsystems
> |Peter Jones|Sun Microsystems
> |Juan Ramirez|Sun Microsystems
> |Frank Barnaby|Sun Microsystems
> |Fred Oliver| Sun Microsystems
> |Robert Resendes|Sun Microsystems
> |Vinod Johnson|Sun Microsystems
> |Ron Mann|Sun Microsystems
> |Jim Hurley|Sun Microsystems
>
> Emeriti:
> ||Name||Organization
> |Bob Scheifler|Sun Microsystems

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com>wrote:

Chances are this will have the effect of reducing the ratio of
> Sun/Oracle affiliations to others, which will make it easier to
> graduate.

For what it's worth, none of the people on Zukka's updated
commiter list above are affiliated with Sun, nor are they
affiliated with Oracle; and haven't been for quite some time.
If a committer's affiliation with a given company is going to
affect the decision of whether or not a project can graduate,
then it seems like it's probably important to update all committer
affiliations with the latest information before making such a
decision.

With respect to this specific case (river graduation), since I've
seen numerous (sometimes biased) references to the Sun
affiliation of the various committers, I'm wondering how long
after a committer leaves a company that a such an affiliation
no longer affects graduation. Does the process address this
question, either directly or indirectly?

For example, with respect to Hadoop and its sub-projects
(specifically, Zookeeper), what was the ratio of Yahoo! developers
to non-Yahoo! developers? And if that ratio was high, what
allowed those projects to graduate? I ask because I see
(anecdotally, based on the Zookeeper developer list traffic)
about the same number of active Zookeeper posters/committers
as I do on the river list.

 On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Tom Hobbs <tvhobbs@googlemail.com> wrote:

> here are the stats for the committers (according to the dev list archive)
>

> Fred Oliver           Last seen Mar 2008

For what it's worth, Fred has been quite active on the list
lately; in which he has been partaking in a number of very
interesting (at least to me) exchanges with Peter Firmstone.
So, I'd hate to see a decision made that is based on inaccurate
information.

Brian