river-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Wright <pdoubl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Closing out release 2.2.0
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2010 16:39:55 GMT
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Sim IJskes - QCG <sim@qcg.nl> wrote:
> On 08/26/2010 10:37 AM, Patrick Wright wrote:
>>
>> A big advantage of Maven is that all the major Java editors all allow
>> you to open a project by opening a POM file. All resources, paths,
>> etc. are immediately configured. This is a big plus for people who
>> want to explore the code and possibly contribute. Dependency
>> management is also much more straightforward using Maven.
>
> I dont see a problem with dependency management with the current situation.
> If you create a dependency, you should include the stuff you depend on. A
> pom file for the final result  to use river as a maven dependency should
> cause no problems. But we should differentiate between offering a set of
> jars with a pom file, and using it for building river altogether.

The topic here is building River using Maven (not publishing River
artifacts for a release; that's a separate topic).

It is possible, though not very common as far as I know, to use Maven
but include third-party libraries in the project source tree (for
example in /lib) and configure Maven to look there for the files,
instead of pulling them from a repository. That gives you the utmost
security in rebuilding older versions of the project. I haven't seen
this be necessary though in the Maven projects I've been working with.
It seems more common to rely on the dependency mechanism for
third-party dependencies.

I've seen a great advantage to having Maven POM files available for
open source projects. If they are correctly written (and that's not
that hard), you get started with the project by pointing your editor
to the POM file. Done. Or you go to the command line and type mvn
package or mvn test. Done. This makes the project much more friendly
to newcomers and drive-by hackers, IMO.

I have some free time coming up and maybe I'll just put my money where
my mouth is and post one or more POMs for River to see what people
think.

Regards
Patrick