river-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Rollo <danro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: River Confluence
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 01:43:31 GMT
Dumb questions alert:

Could we add a link pointing to the documentation that talks about the
"minimum" jars are needed on the classpath to do lookup and register a
service?

I must admit confusion about which jars are needed from River itself
(and I can not blame it on the old vs new packaging).;)

The User Service naming guidelines recently proposed include an "api"
jar. Is it true that River itself does NOT provide an "api" jar for all
the included services? (Or are all the included service api's bundled
into one platform.jar....?)

I think I understand the recommendation for user created services
regarding packaging/jar naming and content, but if River itself follows
different packaging, could we add a link to the details? (Or should it
be changed to follow the "user" convention?)

This also spirals quickly into FAQ's like:
Do I EVER need to add any River supplied jar into JRE ext? (I hope the
current answer is no).

Should *-dl.jar EVER be on my compile classpath. (I think the answer is
NO, but in some cases, I couldn't seem to find an 'api' class in a
standalone River jar...).

I've been half expecting the discussed regarding maven pom.xml's would
clarify some of this (eg: such pom's would make it clear that x.jar
required y.jar...). If nothing else, clarifying some of the above
questions might also help in filling out the pom's (at least for
publishing, if not building River jars).

If all the above is in an RTFM link, please point me there with all due
shame. ;) Still might be worth some FAQ's with links though...

Thanks!
Dan