river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Learnings from a RevokeableDynamicPolicy & A Future Roadmap
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:48:56 GMT
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> On 8/22/2010 8:08 AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>> These ProxyPermission's will be usable whether people want to revoke
>> them or not, and should be much faster than SocketPermission's, anyone
>> with any ideas, please assist.
>
> I don't know enough about what you are trying to do to assist
> directly. However, there is one tool that should be in your toolbox,
> even if you decide it does not help.
>
> Are you aware of Aspect/J, and the underlying idea of organized
> bytecode modification to manage cross-cutting concerns without
> scattered source code change?
>
> Patricia

Yes, it is interesting, I started looking into it a couple of years ago,
but got busy. Bytecode weaving with AspectJ, a problem that we might
face, is how to understand aspects weaved from different compiled code
fragments.  In a way similar to the problems with Generics from
separately compiled code fragments, that come together in a distributed
environment.  Generics in Service Interfaces only work where the
generics are specific, wild cards and generic types don't work, because
that information suffers from compile time erasure, causing runtime type
cast errors.  I think we'd face similar incompatibilities, but it
doesn't mean it's not a good idea or isn't possible ;)  I believe there
are researchers working on distributed aspects...

Cheers,

Peter.