river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: TaskManager progress
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 21:41:41 GMT
addProxyReg is called from the LookupCacheImpl constructor and from the
discover method of a DiscoveryListener attached to a
LookupDiscoveryManager. I don't see any specific rules about thread
choice for the discover call, but as far as I can tell the lookup
discovery manager does not know anything about the service discovery
manager's cache, and so is unlikely to use its TaskManager.

A LookupTask is created in the run method of a RegisterListenerTask,
which is the class of task that addProxyReg adds to the cacheTaskMgr
TaskManager. RegisterListenerTask inherits the CacheTask runAfter method
that just returns false, so there is nothing to stop it from running in
parallel with any older task.

Looks like two or more different threads to me. I think a simpler
explanation for the lack of problem reports lies in two effects:

1. Almost all the time, addProxyReg will win the race. It has a
significant running start. Immediately after the end of its synchronized
block, it drops straight into calling the TaskManager add method.
Meanwhile, another thread that was at the start of its synchronized
block would have to go through creating a new Task object before
attempting the add call. For addProxyReg to lose the race for the add
method's TaskManager synchronization would require a cache miss or an
interrupt in a window a few instructions long.

2. The symptom, if any, would be cache confusion that would be very hard
to distinguish from a variation on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-324. If there were any
observations of this problem before RIVER-324 was fixed, they would have
been conflated with it and presumed fixed.

I am a strong believer in closing even the tiniest timing windows,
because they can collectively lead to general flakiness even if there
are no reproducible bug reports.

Patricia