river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: TaskManager thread limit
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 14:14:48 GMT
Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> Incidentally, do you know why the default load level is 3, not 1?
>
> I am not sure which load level you are referring to.

Sorry for the lack of context. I meant the third parameter on the main
TaskManager constructor:

loadFactor

threshold for creating new threads. A new thread is created if the total
number of runnable tasks (both active and pending) exceeds the number of
threads times the loadFactor, and the maximum number of threads has not
been reached.

The parameterless constructor sets it to 3.0. I can see some special
cases for a value greater than 1, but would have expected the default to
be 1. That is, create another thread if the current number of threads is
less than the maximum and there is at least one task that could be
running but is waiting for a thread to be available.

Patricia