river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject RetryTask test coverage
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:57:24 GMT
com.sun.jini.thread.RetryTask is a commonly used implementation of
TaskManager.Task.

It retries a subclass-supplied method at a series of intervals, ranging
up to 5 minutes. That seems a good basic plan. The different intervals
would allow for different forms of failure and recovery. 5 minutes is
long enough that an application that implements a service could have
failed, exited, been restarted by a keep-alive script, and got back to
work within the interval.

However, I am concerned that there are situations involving runAfter
that are much more probable with a long delay than if the RetryTask
succeeds the first time. In local test environments, there may be a
tendency to succeed on the first try more often than would be the case
in the wild.

My question is whether the tests cover the longer delays. It is
answerable, if nobody already knows the answer, from a "FINEST" level
log for com.sun.jini.thread.RetryTask. If RetryTask is doing retries, it
will contain messages of the form "retry of {0} in {1} ms". {0} is the
toString for an instance of a RetryTask subclass. {1} is the time in
milliseconds to the next retry. If possible, I would like to see those
messages for a full test sequence.

Thanks,

Patricia