river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: A new implementation of TaskManager
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 23:03:14 GMT
Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> If one of the River developers has an intranet test environment it may
>> be possible to simulate the effect of running over the Internet by a
>> similar trick. Create some workload that keeps the network very busy,
>> and run it in parallel with a quality assurance test.
>>
>> In some cases it may not matter which of two transactions is done
>> first, but it is important to make sure there is a consistent order
>> between them.
>
> More recently, one of my most favorite test environments is to bring up
> open solaris on an i7 processor based machine with some reasonable
> amount of memory (8GB or more) and then put 8 or more instances of linux
> on it all running the same build, and then test there with appropriate
> contention, but you'll also get 8, independent OS and Java VM layers
> that will be readily able to provide just about any unexplainable
> behavior you need to test with :-)

Sounds nice and chaotic. When I have a new TaskManager and related
changes working on my system, I'll ask you to take it for a spin.

One problem I don't think that would reproduce is the ambiguity between
a transaction taking a very long time because of load, and a transaction
that is not going to complete because a server that was working on it
has crashed. That issue always gives me headaches.

Patricia