river-dev mailing list archives

From "Zoltan Juhasz" <juh...@irt.vein.hu>
Subject RE: DNS-SD
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:26:13 GMT
Hi Peter,

I have been absent from the Jini developments for some years, so I'm not
100% up-to-date on where you are with Internet-wide service discovery. About
5-6 years ago we did work on this issue within the JGrid project and came up
with the idea of a multi-layer hierarchical discovery infrastructure. As we
were working on Jini-based Grid systems, we called it a Grid Access Point
(GAP). The role of GAP and router layer was to hide the registrars and only
allow services out that were tagged as 'global'. We used the hierarchy to
aggregate service information so we could achieve content-based routing in
the system during discovery; your lookup queries would only go to areas
where there is a chance of finding a suitable service. We used both the
interface and various attributes in this routing. One problem we bumped into
was going through firewalls -- which might be solved by then -- and the
strict hierarchy. I was planning to extend this system to a fault-tolerant
ovelay network (using some P2P extension) with a PhD student but never
really got to this point.

I'm not sure the DNS would be a right place to do anything like this.
Networking folks are very sensitive to adding anything to the core
networking infrastructure that would affect its performance, etc.

If you think our work is of any interest, I can dig up papers and discuss it
further on the list.

Cheers,

Zoltan

Dr Zoltan Juhasz
Dept of Electrical Engineering and Information Systems
University of Pannonia (formerly University of Veszprem)
Veszprem, Hungary