river-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Wright <pdoubl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: com.sun.jini.thread lock contention
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2010 10:09:50 GMT
One point I'd like to raise about using java.util.concurrent and TPE:
I think that over the long term, it makes sense to (re)use existing
utilities which are being maintained by domain experts rather than
custom utilities you've written yourself. The concurrent libraries
available since Java 5 were written and maintained by people widely
recognized to be very, very good at a very hard problem. That doesn't
mean they, or the library, is perfect, just that there is value in
building on their work and letting them take care of the bugs and
optimizations over time. The downside would be that if a River user
was stuck with, say, Java 5, they couldn't take advantage of bugfixes
or improvements in Java 6. On the other hand, that's true of the
entire JDK.

The max threads issue seems to me a non-issue. A JVM can allocate only
so many native threads before it runs out of OS resources; that's a
hard limit. You can set a max of Integer.MAX_VALUE but your VM would
die long, long before it reached that.

For me this is more of design policy decision. Re-use, intelligently
and selectively, where possible, to reduce your project's workload.

Patrick